A Historic Setting
STURBRIDGE AND ITS HISTORY
The Publick House Historic Inn in Sturbridge, Massachusetts, where good food comes out of our Yankee ovens and warm hospitality greets every guest.
Ebenezer Crafts opened the Inn in 1771 as a gathering place for citizens of Sturbridge and weary travelers along the Boston Post Road. In 1923, the property was purchased as a boarding house for women and renamed The Elms. During the 1940's, then owner, Richard Paige, leased the property to the US Army as a post for soldiers en route for training. The Publick House, during this time, moved across the common to a large white house. Not one day has been missed in providing good hospitality in over 230 years.
Since 1771, Publick House Inn has been the lodging and dining hub for esteemed visitors, from George Washington, Benjamin Franklin, and General Lafayette to present day travelers, such as actors Bill Murray, Susan St. James and John Travolta. Today, the old world spirit continues welcoming guests with open hearths and Yankee hospitality. The dining room features an indulging array of duck, lamb, lobster, and other specialty meat and seafood dishes, including a traditional Thanksgiving fare available all year long.
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places.